Saturday, November 1, 2008

Frightening

I read in this morning's paper that a child was shot and killed last night while trick-or-treating with his parents and 3 siblings. This happened, not on the "bad" side of town, but a few blocks from where I grew up!! According to the article, the family walked up to a house with the porch light on, and heard what they thought was "fireworks" inside the house. Someone had opened fire on the family from inside the house. 2 other family members are hospitalized from the shooting. There are no other details right now, except that the police have a suspect in custody.

I remember me and my brother and a bunch of neighborhood kids all running the street parent-less on Halloween. Sure, mom told us not to eat the candy until she could check it, and gave us all the warnings about not entering houses even if we were invited. But we were free, and safe in the group, and it was fun.

I just don't understand what has happened to this community. It really makes me want to run off to a nice little small town out west.

Please, join me in praying for this family.

No comments: